Monday, August 26, 2013

Kindergarten

Thing 1 and Thing 2 started school this week.  I just can't even believe it.  Leading up to it I was asked quite a bit, "Are you sad?"  No.  I wasn't.  I was ready and so were Dylan & Charlie.  They talked about it this whole last year and I think they thought it was pretty cool that the first day was also their birthday! 

We are starting a tradition of taking them out to breakfast on the first day of school.  We were planning on getting up a little earlier so that we could head on down to Village Inn before school but someone slept in.  Or should I say someones.  Instead I was scrambling to get pictures taken, make a somewhat filling breakfast, teeth brushed, etc.  I took Oliver down to Sandra's house to play while we went to school.  Dylan, Charlie, Me & Dad walked up to the school and the school year official began.  I already love their teacher, Mrs. Lemmon.  Once we got there we did a little scavenger hunt.  The kids drew their faces on a worksheet.  Then the kids went out to play on the playground and learn the safety rules while the parents got the parent rules.  Overall it was great.  No tears.

Because we missed breakfast in the morning, we went for lunch instead.  Next year we'll make it!

Tuesday the boys had their testing.  Their teacher is so excited for them to be in her class because they are so different.  I think she appreciates that they don't look alike or think alike or act alike.  It seems to fascinate her a little.  She said how smart they are and I agree!  Wednesday they had off then school was up and running again on Thursday.  On Friday when I dropped them off I let them go in the main doors (that is closer than walking around to the kindergarten doors) and let them walk down the long hall with the other students and find their class on their own.  That made me a little more teary than the actual first day.  Watching my little guys independently walk with all the big kids and blend into the crowd about killed me.  It's so hard releasing them but so gratifying.  And I must say, I love that they have each other.

We now have homework after school, 20 minutes of reading every day, and I get to walk to and from school two times each day.  Things are a-changin'. 



No comments: