Monday, December 5, 2011

What a whirlWIND of a week

I've needed to sit down and write down a few things about last week, and what a week it was. Exactly two days after a visit to nursery (perfect incubation time) I was awakened in the middle of the night by Charlie who had puked all over his bed. So I got up and gave him a bath, cleaned up the "chunkies," sterilized his bedframe and put all his blankets and animals in the wash. I put him back to bed and that was the end of that. He acted just normal after that.

We had our relief society activity Wednesday night so I was busy most of that day with church related things. That day we received an email stating that the storm blowing in was going to be a doosy and to make sure everything outside was put away. I thought it'd be a little windy but had no idea.

That next morning Brandt yelled for me to come upstairs to see the storm. Our BBQ had been blown into the grass, the cover missing (later to be found against the fence), the window on the side of our garage broken, shingles all over the yard, and a million apples and leaves on the ground. I have never seen continual wind like that. I just sat down in front of our large front window and watched the wind. Our neighbors siding was flapping in the wind. Garbage from dumped garbages and recycle bins flying all over. Trees bending in half (and to be found out later being completely uprooted). Shortly after coming upstairs our power went off. So that morning we did our best to keep the refridgerator closed and stay bundled up. We played card games. We played with our blocks. We drove our little cars. We read books. I put the boys down for a nap and decided that when they woke up we would go to my mom's house to sleep over since the temperature in our house kept dropping. When we finally left the thermostat said it was 57 degrees. Not too bad but I knew that after the cold night, we'd wake up to an even colder house. So - off we went to Salt Lake. Once I made it to the freeway, no problem. All the lights were out in Bountiful.

The next morning Brandt let me know the power was back on and we could go on home. We left my mom's just after lunch and as I was pulling into Bountiful, Dylan puked all over himself, great. I had cleaned him up and put everyone down for a nap. Cleaned up the carseat and the car while they all slept and then when I got Oliver from his nap, he was covered in puke. Sweet.

As soon as I got off the freeway that afternoon you could see the damage. The Taco Time sign was gone. The debris was everywhere. In my home I could hear all the chainsaws going continually. Just strange. A few of our neighbors had big pines fall down on their homes. We live behind the Bountiful Cemetary and they lost a bunch of pines. Friday night I had run out to get some milk and drove by and was just in awe. The huge root-balls just up in the air. I had ment to go over and take some pictures but with my three little ones it was hard to get the motivation to leave the house.

I started to feel crummy Saturday night and all day yesterday. Apparently we gave it to my mom, too, as she was puking all Saturday night, too. I finally took some pictures on my drive over to take Brandt his lunch this morning. A lot of clean-up has already taken place so my pictures don't do it justice.

Our church cancelled all meetings except Sacrament so that everyone could help with cleaning up our boundaries. Brandt took I think 3 loads in his truck and trailer to the dump. His last load he waited until later in the day since the line to dump was FOREVER long. He had backed up his truck and trailer and whoever loaded up his truck had branches all over so he couldn't see terribly well. So, he hit a van with his trailer. I guess the light covering of his trailer dragged against this old van and made a 2 inch gash. Awesome. We'll have to wait and see if these people file a claim. He said the van was at least a dozen years old but honestly? Just what we needed. A few hundred dollar service project. Fantastic. So that was the icing on the cake to an eventful week. Hopefully we'll be back to normal and able to widdle away our list to be ready for the big holiday coming up.

Here's a large tree at the cemetary:
This is a home on Brandt's route. I bet it was a large one by the size of the stump. This is on Brandt's route, too. Are you kidding me? It's obvious what happened...It's hard to tell but this tree is split in half. The top half is laying on the building.Here's the other corner of the same building. When I drove by Friday night the HUGE pine was laying on the building. You can see the damage to the roof and they layed the root-ball back in the ground so it wasn't a huge, gaping hole. Brandt actually lived in this apartment complex as a child I think the bottom window was theirs.More cemetary mess.

No comments: